Recipes: How To Throw A Shrimp Boil (Access Hollywood Live)
Executive chef Brian Landry of Borgne Restaurant in New Orleans is a spokesperson for the Gulf Coast Seafood Coalition, and he visits Access Hollywood Live to share some authentic shrimp boil recipes. Watch Chef Brian prepare the Shrimp Boil http://watch.accesshollywood.com/search/how-to-throw-the-perfect-shrimp-boil/1808700266001?searchterm=shrimp
First Published: August 27, 2012 12:54 PM EDT Credit: Access Hollywood
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Chef Brian Landry — who is a spokesperson for the Gulf Coast Seafood Coalition — of Borgne Restaurant in New Orleans stopped by Access Hollywood Live to show how to throw a Shrimp Boil.
2 gal water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sweet paprika
2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon crushed fennel seed
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon allspice
2 ea lemons, halved
4 ea bay leaves
1 ea small onion, coarse chopped
2 stalk celery, coarse chopped
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 2 inch pieces
2 pound red creamer potatoes
4 ears corn, cut in half
1/2 pound button mushrooms
1 head garlic, halved crosswise
1 sprig thyme
5 pounds jumbo shrimp
1. Place potatoes in bottom of a large pot. Add the 2 gallons of water, all of the dry spices, lemons, garlic, onion, and celery. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Now add the sausage and corn and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
3. Next add the shrimp and mushrooms and allow the shrimp to simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and allow the shrimp to soak until just cooked through (5 - 10 minutes).
4. Pour the pot into a large colander in the sink, and transfer all of the shrimp, sausage, and vegetables onto a table lined with newspaper.
SHRIMP BOIL POTATO SALAD
3 pounds red creamer potatoes (leftover from shrimp boil), diced
1 ea red onion, small diced
2 ea celery stalk, small diced
3 ea green onions, chopped
1/2 cup capers
3 ea hard boiled eggs, diced
1 head garlic (leftover from shrimp boil), smashed
1 cup mayo
1/4 cup creole mustard
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1. In a large bowl combine the potatoes, red onion, celery, green onions, capers, and hard boiled egg.
2. In a small food processor, combine the smashed garlic, mayo, and creole mustard and blend until smooth.
3. Add the mayo mixture to the potato salad. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
CANARY ISLAND ICE TEA
1/2 cup torn fresh mint leaves
1/3 cup grated fresh ginger
1/3 cup honey
2 cups boiling water
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups (about) cold water
4 cups freshly brewed black tea
Combine chopped mint, ginger, and honey in medium bowl. Add boiling water. Let steep 15 minutes. Strain. Add lemon juice, cold water and tea.
Fill collins glasses with ice cubes. Add lemonade & tea mixture. Garnish with mint leaves and lemon slices and serve.
For more information on all of these recipes, visit www.eatgulfseafood.com.